Expeditions is a game mode primarily used for farming and progression. It comes right after Adventures in difficulty, and features a different special enemy in every Chaos difficulty.
- Chaos enemies: Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Shield Goblin Gorbstock
- Unlocked after finishing the Campaign.
Vanguards are shield goblins who block all projectile attacks from their front side. Projectiles attacks will be ineffective, so avoid projectiles unless you have a piercer servo/chip or you are able to attack them from behind with projectiles.
- Chaos enemies: Cybork
- Chaos miniboss: Thorc the Terrible
- Unlocked after reaching 580 champion score.
Cybork are orcs who send out a projectile with each attack that will disable any Auras, Traps, and Nodes. Stick to using Towers and Blockades unless your Auras, Traps, and Nodes are equipped with a 100% Tenacity Servo or the Automation Shard (either of these will prevent your defenses from being disabled). A common strategy high level players who still wish to use Auras, Traps, and Nodes use is to equip a 100% Tenacity Servo or Automation on their Reflect Beam. Because the Cybork's attack sends out a projectile, the Reflect Beam is capable of reflecting these projectiles back, keeping your Auras, Traps, and Nodes safe.
- Chaos enemies: Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Geode Prime - Leader of the Shield Geodes
- Unlocked after reaching 1050 champion score.
Shield Geodes produce a spherical projectile shield which will reflect all projectile attacks. Projectile attacks will largely be ineffective unless you can get inside the shield and damage the Shield Geode's core. Using projectile based defenses is highly discouraged unless they are equipped with piercer servo.
- Chaos enemies: Berserker Orc, Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Gnash the Flame Lance
- Unlocked after reaching 1740 champion score.
Berserker Orcs are tanky, fast moving, and hard hitting lady orcs with immunity to all slowing effects. They should be prioritized and eliminated quickly, as they can make quick work of your Blockades and/or slip through to your Crystal Core if left unchecked.
- Chaos enemies: Dark Assassin, Cybork, Berserker Orc, Shield Geode (1 per wave starting on wave 3), Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Skarnash The Terrible
- Unlocked after reaching 2750 champion score.
Dark Assassins are flying enemies that exclusively focus on attacking the player (although they can still damage Defenses or the Crystal Core if you bring them within striking distance). After spawning, they will target a player. If you are targeted, purple smoke will appear around your hero and you will hear a hissing sound. Shortly afterwards, the Dark Assassin will teleport onto your hero, disabling your hero abilities and basic attacks. You will still be able to move around and use your pet ability. They can be countered by utilizing Defenses or pet abilities that can stun or knock up enemies, or by simply killing them with Defenses before they kill you.
- Chaos enemies: Hex Thrower, Dark Assassin (from wave 3 onwards), Berserker Orc, Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Sniper Warbleed
- Unlocked after reaching 3800 champion score.
Hex Throwers are elite javelin throwers who can attack your defenses from extremely far away. Their attacks leave a devastating curse on your Defenses in an area on hit. The easiest way to counter them is by using the EV2's Reflect Beam. If you don't have EV2, avoid clumping Defenses around your Blockades.
- Chaos enemies: Kobolts, Hex Thrower, Dark Assassin (from wave 3 onwards), Berserker Orc, Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Zapper
- Unlocked after reaching 5300 champion score.
Kobolts are special flying kobolds that focus on dive bombing your Towers. On contact, they will explode, dealing a large amount of damage and disabling your Towers. If you do choose to use Towers, be very careful with your placement.
- Chaos enemies: Death Weavers, Hex Thrower, Dark Assassin (from wave 3 onwards), Berserker Orc, Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Queen Deathweaver
- Unlocked after reaching 7850 champion score.
Death Weavers are spiders which leave a spider web on the ground after they are killed. These spider webs will curse your defenses, decreasing attack speed, damage, and range. These webs cannot be countered by 100% Tenacity Servo or Automation. These spiders also hit quite hard and have a decent amount of health, and they'll also web you and slow you down if they hit you. Due to their webs, Auras, Traps, and Nodes are generally not recommended.
- Chaos enemies: Elder Wyvern, Hex Thrower, Dark Assassin (from wave 3 onwards), Berserker Orc, Shield Geode, Vanguard
- Chaos miniboss: Ancient Wyvern
- Unlocked after reaching 9850 champion score.
Elder Wyverns are grounded wyverns that buff nearby enemies, providing damage resistance and immunity to any Crowd Control effects. Because of this buff, you are essentially forced into high damage setups that kill the enemies with raw damage. At Chaos 9, Blockades are no longer viable. The most commonly employed strategy for Chaos 9 is a Fissure of Embermount build with the Embermount Flames mod, which allows the Fissure to continue damaging enemies even after they have moved out of range.